Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Ask the Bar Man

Q: Jeff, how do you come up with the names for your drinks? - Frank from Brookland

A: I have to admit this is the toughest part for me when coming up with drinks. The flavors I can get pretty quickly or I can nail down a general idea of what I want to do with a drink easily. The names? That’s always been tough.


I will say there is always one drink named after my wife in some way on any list I do. That’s a given. After that, I’ll try to throw a play on words in there (The "Smoke Gets in Your Rye" is a great example). Given the nature of Fiola, there’s always an Italian turn of phrase that’s useful. Sometimes I’ll go with a random song that comes on while on my way to work. Other times, it’s in reference to a movie I watched the night before. 

Perhaps the funniest way I’ve heard of bartenders coming up with names is through dog track racing names. I’ve resorted to this a few times. The best one I came across was “A Point to Ponder”. Although, you have to wonder what the owners of the dog actually called him/her with a name like that. 

Ultimately, I still have a hard time thinking of names even with all of those resources. There are only so many songs in the world, so many usable dog names, and my Italian is limited. Anyone have any great ideas out there?

Cheers,
Jeff