Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Drink This Now.


For those who have followed the Fiola newsletter or have spent any amount of time at the bar with me, you know I'm a fan of the brown spirits. I will drink them year round, but with the cold in the air I tend to enjoy them more this time of year. 

My favorite to sip on at the house is from the folks at Willett. Now, Willett is a different sort. Up until recently, their distillery wasn't operational. They have tasters who go around to other distilleries and handpick single barrels to label as their own. This offers up an endless variety for them. 

Sadly, it also means you're not likely to be able to stock up on your favorite sampling from them either.

Willett offers up both bourbon and rye, and I'm enjoying the rye more than anything else right now. The rye is aged 4 years and comes in at a healthy 120 proof. It's not for the faint of heart, but even with that alcohol content the rye shows through. There's nice caramel notes to it and the wood certainly shows through in it. 

Oh, and 120 proof will certainly warm you up on a cold winter's night. If you see it at your local store, pick it up!

Cheers,
Jeff

Fiola Bar Manager Jeff Faile